Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Dream of a Hot Tub

I want a hot tub. I've wanted one for quite a while now. For about 5 years I've really wanted one. There was a point about 3 years ago when I almost bought one online, but in the end, something happened financially that kept me from actually 'pulling the trigger' so to speak.

I've always liked hot tubs. I've never owned one, nor did I have one as a child growing up. I can remember times when I would visit friends who had one, and go on vacations to places that had one. Even now, I love to sit in that hot water and relax. For me, its a place of total relaxation.

Part of the reason i think about hot tubs all the time is that I am such a big guy. I'm 6 foot 5 and weigh about 250lbs. I'm not sure if you've noticed the standard tub, but for me, its either legs or body in the water. Therefore, the amount of baths that I have taken in the past 10 years have equaled exactly zero. The hot tub is the only option for total and complete immersion in hot water for me.

This Christmas, my in-laws gave me a really neat piggy bank. Its made out of an old metal tank of some sort that looks like a pig and is painted and all that. Its sweet. Its probably got a 2.5 gallon capacity with a slit on top for the money.

Here's my goal- I'm shoving dollar bills and change in that thing and when its full, hopefully I'll be on my way to a hot tub. Right now I think there is about 25 dollars in there, so I've got a ways to go, but I'm on my way.

Here's what happened yesterday- my daughter Faith wanted to put 10 of her dollars into the pig towards a hot tub. It was so sweet. She came to me and wanted to give into the 'hot tub fund'.

Here's what I saw- my 6 year old daughter was willing to part with a large percentage of her personal stash of cash to help the hot tub fund.

It encouraged me.

Why? Because she was being giving. She wanted to help me accomplish something she knows that I want, and wanted to be a part of it. Even if it meant parting with a bit of her own money.

Here's the nugget for the day- how tight are you with your own giving of money? When you see someone in need are you willing to part with a bit of your own? Do you offer to pay for meals when out with others? Do you look for opportunities to bless others with your money?

This is what I'm getting at- do you control your money, or does your money control you?

Be willing to part with a bit of your money. It will stretch you.

be blessed
matt

2 comments:

  1. Amen !!! Bless her little heart.~Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job saving before buying! We are so proud of you and Faith.

    ReplyDelete