Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I Tried To Kill The Goldfish

About 6-7 months ago, my kids really wanted a fishbowl. Who knows where they get these ideas, but they each wanted some fish. Being the loving benevolent parent that I am, we took them down to the WalMart and bought a one gallon 'all-in-one' set for about 8 dollars. It came with a bowl, rocks, and one plant. We bought two fish and the kids named them Alli and Lincoln.

Here was the plan with the goldfish- I figured I would get them and they would die within the first month since, they were only .29c feeder fish. Alli did die, the second day, so we had to replace her with the current fish, Alli-2. My thought was that the kids would get over having a fish or they would die, and we could move on. Alas, this has not been the case.

Our two fish grew quite a bit in that little bowl, regardless of the recommended 5 gallon per fish standard that I have heard about. Two things I did notice though, the two fish seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time at the top of the bowl sucking air and their water was really dirty all the time. So what did I do? What any good parent would do, I went out and bought a bigger bowl with a filtration and aeration system. What has been happening with the fish has been remarkable.

Since they have increased their area to swim in by 4 gallons, and now have oxygenated and filtered water, they have been moving around a lot more. I can visibly see that their activity and movement are quite different. Here's the biggest thing I've noticed- they don't go up to the top of the water to suck air now that they are getting the correct amount of oxygen in the water. The water is much cleaner too.

Here's what I was thinking about last night while I was sitting in front of the tank watching those little fish- as soon as they got cleaner water, their life was better. They were better.

Is there some stuff in your life that you need to filter out? Have you been living in dirty water that is clouding your perspective? Is it inhibiting your ability to be able to grow spiritually?

Here's the plan- ask the Lord to reveal those things in your life that are clouding you and allow him to filter them out of your life. You'll feel better and live better.

Be blessed
matt

Here's the question

No comments:

Post a Comment