Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chopping Wood At Midnight

And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap, Had just settled down for a long winter's nap, When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter...When, what to my wondering eyes should appear....But a man in his front yard chopping wood with great cheer.

Seriously. This morning just after midnight, I'm laying in bed, and I keep hearing this 'thunk'. Then a pause, 'thunk'. I'm thinking to myself, what is going on? So I look out the window, and sure enough, there goes my neighbor chopping some wood right in his front yard.

It didn't surprise me that much. I mean, after the brand new muffler on his V10 truck that fills the neighborhood with joyful glee, the circa 1984 weight equipment that sits in his driveway like a monument to Joe Weider, and the radio left on in his open garage at 1am a few weeks ago, it wasn't THAT surprising.

So with my cheetah print pajama bottoms, black socks, flip flops and a t-shirt, I walk across the street and ask "Do you think its at all odd that you're out here chopping wood after midnight on a Wednesday night?"

The look in eyes said a thousand words.

He had no idea what I was talking about.

To him, it was very clear that he didn't think that it was odd at all. If it was, I'm sure that he wouldn't have been chopping wood after midnight. From his perspective, I'm sure he thought "well, there's some wood that's been sitting in my driveway a few weeks, I should chop some of it".

Here's the point for today. In this world, you will always encounter people who have a total complete different view of the world than you do. Not everyone thinks the same. When you encounter those people, remember that God loves them just as much as He loves you. Just because someone thinks a certain way, or has odd behavior doesn't mean they are outside of the hope that we have in Jesus Christ. At times like this, we, excuse me, I need to remember that.

Bless you
matt

ps. Luck would have it he broke his axe on the last swing as I was walking across the street. So, I didn't hear anymore chopping.

3 comments:

  1. Oh My God! Peg and I have a neighbor just like that. Only he'll leave his radio on for 72 hours straight, scream obscenities at his dogs at all hours, and sing "Eagles" tunes in Bob Dylan's voice while strumming his guitar in his front yard at 2:00 AM. But I will try to remember that God loves him - I will really, really try - But it's going to be HARD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post on my break today at work. Man, I needed it. Trying to explain basic billing concepts to people can rub off all my positive attitude. It leaves me thinking of them as difficult and stupid, rather than showing mercy at a genuine lack of understanding. If I can keep the right mindset, we can get much closer to the same page than if I refuse to accept where they are coming from

    ReplyDelete