Friday, April 10, 2009

I Have Funeral Today

Its what pastors do. Its not my favorite part of my calling, but its one of those things that I do periodcially.

There's always a lot of things that go into my mind as I am preparing for a funeral or memorial service. Most importantly, the thing that is going through my mind the most is- how can I honor the deceased, while providing meaning to the event.

Its difficult to say the least. When you're standing there with a bunch of sets of eyes looking at you, asking you to tell them what it all means.

Scripture has quite a bit to say about life and death. There's comfort, encouragement and some insight.

This is what I remember most in the midst of these times- We may not know why. We may not understand. But God knows. He understands. Our feeble attempts to ascribe meaning and understanding fail when decide to forget that it is God who is truly in control, who has created us all.

We all one day will die. Its a fact. And when that happens, we'll know the answers to all those questions that we've always wanted to know.

Today is Good Friday. The day that Christians set aside to remember the day that Jesus was Crucified. Even as the disciples watched Jesus die on the cross, I am sure that they too wondered what it all meant.

God showed them what it meant. And it changed their lives forever.

Remember- you may not understand, but He does.

blessings
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment