Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu? Let's Blame Porky Pig!

If you've been watching the news or reading it as I do, I'm sure you're aware of the 'swine flu' thing that seems to be moving around a bit.

Let me start by saying this- I am not a medical doctor. This blog does not take the place of medical advice.

I've been thinking about how I can send out a message of encouragement about this flu, without making it seem as though I am asking you to put your head in the sand. They way I see it, we have two choices- stay home and stockpile canned beans, or live our lives and pray for the best. The point being, I think there are some precautions we could take, like not traveling to Mexico and kissing someone we don't know. But, we also can't live our lives in the grip of fear from something that we can't really control or understand.

I think its that way with most things in our life. Cancer, death, the lottery. There are certain things that we cannot control and for some reason those things that we cannot control seem to be the things that we spend a lot of time thinking and praying about.

What's the saying? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of treatment? Something like that, basically, that being prepared is good. I think that's important, but I also think that its important to always leave God in the equation. He knows what we're dealing with. He knows what is going on. We don't have to live our lives in fear.

Keep prayed up. Wash your hands. No kissing people you don't know. I think we'll be fine.

Blessings
matt

6 comments:

  1. Here! Here! This was good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put this on my facebook, but thought it should go here as well: Fun Fact. 64 people so far are reported to have swine flu. US Population is around 305 million. That means 1 in 4,765,625 people have it. They are proposing 1.5 billion in the US budget for this "epidemic". That's $23,437,500 for the current people with this virus. 1)The media needs to quit freaking people out, it's not that serious. 2)The government should quit finding ways to spend my great grandkids money!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting this in perspective, 37,000 people in the U.S. die every year from flu or flu related complications such as pneumonia. Now it is true that most of these are the weak and old and regular flu rarely kills the strong and the young, whereas swine flu has this ability - it is still rare. This is blown way out of proportion. A word of precaution - the primary port of entry for a virus is through the eye (the secondary port of entry is through the lungs) so if you need to rub your eye, wash your hands first or use a tissue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it's ok for you and I to maybe kiss a few times since we know each other ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn A.
    I think Ryan hit the nail on the head. My grand kids, my great grand kids, great great grand kids and on will be paying for things they will not know anything about. In the day care world wash,wash and wash again. Prayers do work the best.Russ makes a really good point,eyes, and lungs are the ways the virus enters the body. Wash and use a tissue or I have had someone tell me to use my shirt. Sick I know.
    Keep the blog going and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thousands (15-20K MGs daily) of Vitamin C and zinc (several hundered MGs), if anyone's really worried about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete