Thursday, April 16, 2009

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

I'm not sure if you've all seen the video yet, but its sort of Internet phenomenon right now. In Britain, there is a lady named Susan Boyle who tried out for "Britain's Got Talent" and completely wowed the judges and the audience.

She's a regular looking gal. Over 40. Not the typical person that you would expect to be singing on a television show. If you've seen any of these singing shows, they usually showcase these types so they can put them down when they embarrass themselves.

Well, as of today, this lady has about 11 million hits of her videos on YouTube. She can sing! Its amazing. You can check the video out here its amazing to watch. I don't know the song. I don't know the lady. But watching her, it impacts me.

Why is that? I think its because most people look at someone and make huge assumptions on who they are based on what they look like. It wrong, but I think that most people do it all the time.

Watching this video, one of the judges (who happens to be quite beautiful) declares that we've all been taught a lesson on why we shouldn't judge. For some reason we have some need to put someone up or down because of our perception of them.

I like what King David said in the psalms "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made". That's a statement that we can all say about ourselves, and in turn say about other people. God doesn't create any junk. He made all people different, and we have our own preconceived perceptions of who or what someone is entirely on their looks, we can miss out on something beautiful.

Watch the video. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Matt

4 comments:

  1. This video clearly showed how much we all pre-judge each other and how easy it is. Her singing was amazing, but what was even more amazing was the lesson in humanity it taught everyone including me. You can see by the rolling of eyes of Simon Cal, the snickers from the other panelists and the audience that they were saying "how dare you be unattractive and yet portray confidence and beauty". And then she began to sing and was transformed before our very eyes from a "buffoon" to beautiful human being - yet she did not change - I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way this morning. We so tend to judge the book cover before reading it to decide and or take someone elses work before ours. My boys were loving the hole thing. I was so proud. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the video and I was very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too watched the video - WOW!! It was interesting to watch the audience initially laugh at her & then be wowed by her voice. It was the same for Paul Potts who was also on the same show last season. I learned that looks don't equate to talent, heart or soul. She didn't let the opinions of others deter her dreams. I admire that! Susan you go girl!!
    Dani

    ReplyDelete