Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Clint Eastwood- Gran Torino

I watched the Movie Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood last night. Yes its rated R. Yes I am a pastor. Yes I'm OK with that. Save the criticism- read the book of Genesis- its way more R rated than Gran Torino.

Anywho- If you haven't seen the movie, and don't want it spoiled, quit reading right now. Its about an old white guy who has been living in the same neighborhood for a real long time, and it begins to change into a much more multicultural area.

The story centers around the main character- Walt, and his interacitons with a Hmong family that lives next door. He befriends the young man, and eventually becomes the driving force for keeping this kid out of the gang lifestyle that is so earnestly trying to pull him in.

In the movie, Walt is a crass talking bigot who doesn't hold back anything he thinks. Eventually, the story comes to a head when the gang bangers who want the young kid next door, shoot up this young man's house, and beat up his sister. The young kid wants revenge, and is out for blood, but Walt locks him up in his basement and goes out for vengeance on his own.

The way the story is going, you expect the Korean war veteran to go to the gang bangers house and shoot it up, but its the complete opposite- He basically lets them kill him dead in their front yard. Walt falls on his back in a crucified position, dead. Walt portrays the "Christ" figure in this movie. He's the savior for this kid, and his family. Because the Gang members murdered him in plain view, when Walt had no weapon, they are all arrested and sent to prison. All because Walt was willing to ransom his life, so his friend could live and not have to face the wrath of these thugs.

Here's what amazes me- This movie completely portrays the Christian message- that Christ was willing to do whatever it took to ensure that we would could go to heaven and have a full life here on this earth. Of course in reality Jesus gave his life on the cross, and Walt gave his life through gunshot wounds, but the parallels are amazing.

I want to challenge you if you can stomach the harsh language to watch the movie with an open mind. Its a powerful movie about redemption, forgiveness, and selflessness. It was a fantastic movie.

Be blessed today.
Matt

If you've seen the movie, I'm curious what your thoughts are about it.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Matt - you asked, so here's my take. I watched it last week. I'd concur that there is a strong Messiah message, but I didn't care for the way they set up a pro-assisted suicide message. Walt had lung cancer & his life was, in his opinion, worth less than "Toad's" life. It would have been great to have Walt turn his heart toward the preist who was pursuing him. In my view, Walt was bitter toward the end & took a coward's way out. Hard to have a good Messiah parallel when you have a heavily flawed Messiah. - Shawn Manley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bought this move for my husband for Father's Day! CAn't wait to watch it with him. Thanks for the post Matt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peg and I just watched the movie Sunday night (3-days ago). It moved us greatly because we did not see the ending coming. Whenever vengence is replaced with love, it is extremely moving. We too saw the parallel between Walt and Christ on the cross and talked about it aftwards - both gave the ultimate sacrifice for love. My father taught me "Sacrifice is the personifation of Love". Once you know that, it is easy to determine if someone really loves you or if their love is fleeting - you simply need to answer the question - "What are they willing to sacrifice for me?" Walt showed true love for the Hmong kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very moved just by this movie review- and I haven't seen the movie yet! :-) I googled "Did Clint Eastwood find Jesus?" and it didn't come up with anything pertinent though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lon & I watched the movie the other night & thought it was great. I have to admit Walt's character reminded me of my late grandfather. Walt could have stayed the way he was & did nothing to help the Hmong family because of his prejudice. Instead he came to know & love his Hmong neighbors. Even though he knew he was dying he could have gone out in a blaze of glory shooting up the gang bangers; however he chose to go out in a non violent matter setting an example for his young friend. The ending was not something I expected. Dani

    ReplyDelete