Friday, December 18, 2009

Do You Live In The Happiest State? (List Incl.)

Well, it looks like my wife has been right all along. Apparently the sunnier states in America are higher on the list of happiest states. She has always said that its gloomy up here in Washington state, and according to this list, she appears to be right.

You can view the article about it here.

Here was the top 10

1. Louisiana- Even after Hurricane Katrina?
2. Hawaii- I guess pineapples and beaches can't even get you the top spot.
3. Florida- The land of football and Disneyworld.
4. Tennessee- What's in Tennessee? Graceland and Country Music?
5. Arizona- One of the current worst housing markets and tons of retirees.
6. South Carolina- The "hey, at least we're not North Carolina" state.
7. Mississippi- The state that we all loved to spell as kids.
8. Montana- The twelve people that live there were excited to make the list.
9. Alabama- Ever since Forrest Gump they've all been happy, especially in Greenbough.
10. Maine- I think its because they are so far away from everyone.

Here's what was surprising to me that didn't make the list- California- I thought all that money and fame brought happiness? And also no Texas? I thought that everything is bigger in Texas, but not the happy people.

I was most surprised to see that Louisiana is the happiest state. Even with all of that turmoil that Hurricane Katrina brought. What that tells me is that through adversity and destruction, you can still come out of it and still be happy.

It brings me to think about my own life- how happy am I? What is my happiness connected to? Is it connected to my family, stuff, my job? If all of those things are going well, does that mean that I will be happy?

The big question is- does happiness depend on something external, or something internal. Can I choose happiness despite my circumstances?

Here's the Victory Blog nugget for the day- You don't have to live in Louisiana to be happy today, or any day for that matter. You can be happy any day of your life if you decide to be happy. No matter what may come your way, or what you are going through you can choose to be happy.

I realize that this is a concept that may be hard to grasp for some people who have lived their lives believing that circumstance determines happiness. The truth is that happiness is a decision, its not a by-product of surroundings.

God has created us all with a mind that has the ability to choose happiness. To choose contentment. To choose to focus on the blessings that are not of this world but are of the heavens. The blessings that you cannot touch and the happiness that cannot be bought. The happiness that can only be found in God alone.

Choose happiness today. Regardless of where you live.

Blessings
matt

4 comments:

  1. Can I get a witness - Amen Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word matt, I would like to see the state of confusion make the list.

    The one thing that I see in Teenagers all the time is that they choose anger, hurt, frustration, depression instead of joy, benefit of the doubt, healing, patience and wholeness. I guess it is a lot easier to put ourselves in the role of victim than it is to put ourselves in the role of wholeness, victory and success.

    God wants us whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty interesting. Here is another list... http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-01-29-faith-state-survey_N.htm
    The top five on this list are on yours also... So maybe my list will explain some of the people on your list, but as for the others.... you got me... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born in the state of LA. I have lived in the state of LA. And worked in the state of LA for 40 years. Happiness is by what you do and who you are. Your happiness is not always there. Because it's not always what you want. Jesus Christ is our Savior and you dovote your life to God. Everything you have is His. That's where you happiness is. When you devote your will of life to the Lord whatever state you live in you will be happy in. I've lived in WA state for the last 2 years and have learned to be happy with what I have, friends and Faith and Victory Church. Especially with the Pastors, Matt and Crystal Krachunis. Happiness is when you give your life to the Lord.

    Keith Cooper

    ReplyDelete