Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I'm Buying Crystal a Fire Extinguisher or a Vacuum (video clip included)

I'm not the best gift giver in the world. I know it. I don't know why, but I just can't wrap my mind around what is the best gift to give to someone. Most of my gift ideas are either way too expensive, or way too practical. I can't seem to find that happy medium in the middle.

I found a news story today that I think I just might go with for this season- the head of FEMA suggests that for Christmas gifts we should buy our loved ones something practical for disaster preparedness. I'm all for it. Nothing says "The Savior of the World has come to us" like a collapsible ladder in case of a fire. You can read the article here

What's the big deal with gifts anyway? I don't understand how a gift became the shining example of how much you love or care for someone. Sure, its nice to give someone something, but I don't think that its the culmination of a loving relationship.

Here's another idea- how about a dual bag vacuum? There is a great video of a Man who did this. You can watch it here.

I love my wife. Tremendously. The reality is that I would buy her everything in the world if I could. I just don't like the expectation of "as we honor the arrival of the Christ child" that we have to buy a gift that shows how much we love someone. I love my wife everyday.

Here's my rant for the day- we need to spend more time loving people not trying to buy them gifts to show them that we love them. We show people we love them every time we see them by how we speak, interact and serve them. You have a choice to show the people around you how much you love them every day. It doesn't have to happen on the morning of December 25th.

I would think that most people would appreciate people being a loving person, not trying to act loving by buying them something to make up for their social shortcoming throughout the year.

Go and love on someone today. When we love each other, we honor God. Look them in the eyes and tell them that you appreciate them. Love them for who they are, not for what they do for you, or what they give you. What you will find is that more than often people will appreciate your love more than your gifts. Then when you do give them a gift it will be an extension of your love, not your attempt to be loving.

Be Blessed today.
matt

1 comment:

  1. Exactly what I was thinking ( see above!!) PS: if you are thinking of getting a fire extinguisher, go down by Carpinito Brothers in Kent ( AAA Fire Extinguisher I think is the name) they sell refurbished ( all fire dept. approved I'm sure!) at a fraction of the cost you would pay in your local store. They are the really big extinguishers too! I think I paid $8 bucks! I always like to pass this info along! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete