Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'm Going to Eat Donuts for Every Meal and Sleep In

Most of you know by now, I have a love of donuts. A deep passionate love for the frosted fried leavened bread of heaven. I could honestly eat donuts every single day. Sometimes twice a day.

There is this donut shop in Auburn that I drive by frequently, and when I do, its a battle within my mind to not go in there. To be honest, there are times when I go out of my way to drive by it to have the excuse that "I just happened to be in the area". Lets be honest, whats the harm of an occasional fritter or twist?

The longer I live the more I realize that there is a constant war within my body and mind between doing what I should do, and doing what I want to do. The Apostle Paul wrote about this in the book of Romans when he said, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do".

What do I mean? I don't really want to eat donuts everyday. I know that they are not good for me. They don't benefit my health all that much and I really don't need the extra calories.

It seems that if its not donuts, its something else. There always seems to be a struggle between what I know is best for me and what I want to do. I want to sleep, I know I should get up. I want to watch TV, I know I should read my Bible. I want to spend time alone, I should spend some time with my kids. I want to eat a bag of cookies, I should be eating a bag of vegetables. I don't want to help that person and be inconvenienced. Its a constant never ending struggle to stay on the side of the 'shoulds' instead of the side of the 'wants'.

Here's the reality- I can't live my life as a selfish, sleeping in, TV watching, loner who eats donuts every meal. Its not beneficial for me or anyone else. I must choose to do the right thing and keep moving towards things that are better for me, not worse for me.

Do you struggle with doing the things that you know you should be doing? Ask God today to empower you to be a person to make good decisions that move you in the direction that He wants for you that help you get closer to His ideal for your life.

You will find that when you allow Him into your life he will help empower you to be a person that doesn't give in to every selfish whim or un-beneficial desire. He will help you to be a person who makes good decisions, reaches goals and accomplishes great things for His kingdom.

Make good decisions today.

Be blessed
matt

1 comment: