Friday, December 11, 2009

What's That HUM? Come ON! Can I get some help?

I'm a bassaholic. What do I mean? I love the rumble and boom of a good woofer. I've been that way since Jr. High. I know, its dorky, but honestly, I could care less what people think. For some people its loud exhaust, or loud guitar. I've met people that get excited about scrap booking shears, and counter top mixers. Everyone has their thing. Mine- bass. Deep rumbling bass.

I used to satisfy that need with my two 12 inch woofers I had in the back of my sedan. Most people didn't know I had King Kong in the trunk. They just figured me for a mild-mannered pastor. Alas, when I was rolling down the freeway I would be booming!

Since we got rid of the sedan, I've had to satisfy my cravings elsewhere and have now turned to my home theatre system. I just built a new sub woofer for it, and hooked it up this week. I was sooooo excited, until when I plugged it in, I got a really loud hum coming from it. Come to find out, it appears I have some sort of ground loop problem or something within my system. I wont bore you with the details, but will say this- something I wanted to work that I envisioned a certain way isn't working as I had expected.

Sound familiar? Haven't you had that same issue with something? You hope and dream about how something is going to work and when it doesn't, you're a bit frustrated.

Here's the odd part for me- usually I get pretty amped up about this stuff (pun intended). It typically annoys me to no end to want to get something to work and then it doesn't. Here's what I'm trying with my current debacle. I'm not taking it that seriously. Why? because in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.

Sure. i want things around me to work and to go well, but here's what I am realizing little by little in this thing called life. I can CHOOSE how I am going to RESPOND. I don't have to get mad, or frustrated, or upset. Yes, I'm going to continue to try and fix whatever I can, but I'm not going to let it consume me. I'm just going to roll with it and allow it to take its course.

Here's my prayer for today- "Lord, help me to grow. Help me to be a more patient person. Father, when things happen in my life that I cannot control, help me to stay calm and honor you with my actions. It wont be easy, but help me through your power and peace. Amen".

That's where I'm at today. If that's you, then go ahead and borrow it. We will see how it goes.

Have a great weekend.

Matt

1 comment:

  1. So you're that guy that "kills" all conversation in my car because your bass is overwelming! I've been looking for you! Here's what I've learned as I've passed through the ether of life - when I can't solve a problem I don't obsess over it (like I did when I wore a younger man's clothes) - I give it a good try - realize my limitations and then move on to another problem that needs fixing - of which there are always many. At some point, I will aquire the knowledge, experience or "friend" that will fix the original problem.

    ReplyDelete