Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Almost Died At The Gym This Morning

I've been going to the gym in the morning on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I meet my friend Chad there. I got there a few minutes earlier than him this morning (as it is most mornings) and was standing on the curb across from the entrance to the gym waiting.
 
As I was standing there, this person walked out of the gym, went to the back of their vehicle, and put their gym clothes in there and got in the drivers seat.  Did I mention they were parked in the 'Handicapped' spot? I was standing there, and thinking to myself  "they don't look very handicapped" seeing how they just came out of the gym and such.
 
This guy walks by me and says "You're thinking about how they don't look very handicapped, aren't you?".  I said to him, " What are you, some sort of mind reader??" and then he laughed over his shoulder as he walked away.
 
Just at that moment, my friend Chad walked up, so we started our way to the entrance to the gym. The person in that vehicle, shifted into reverse right as we were right behind the vehicle, and I thought to myself that they had to see the two 6 foot plus individuals behind the vehicle.
 
Nope. Without a look, without a pause, the vehicle came back at a high rate of speed in reverse straight at us. I jumped out of the way and hollered as they almost took me out. You'd think they would have applied the break a bit as I was hollering, nope. No such luck.
 
I wonder if I was pinned under their vehicle screaming they would have stopped?
 
The same guy who read my mind called out from the door and said "No question if they're selfish or not, eh?"
 
The whole interaction took about 1 minute.
 
In addition to immediately becoming the topic of the blog this morning, I also thought to myself what kind of life this person must lead to be so utterly concerned with what was going on with them, and in my case, completely oblivious to what was going on around them.
 
I think I may be like that sometimes. So consumed with myself that I forget those around me that may be in need also. I think its something about the human condition that we get tunnel vision when it comes to dealing with our own problems.
 
Here's the deal though- that's not what God calls us to do, or to be. Even though we may be going through something, or be dealing with something, it doesn't give us an excuse to take it out on someone else, or be oblivious to the people around us who may be in need.
 
Think about it today. You may be going through something, but that doesn't mean that you can become self absorbed. Make the choice to focus on those around you that may be in need, and help them out a bit. You'll find that your problems aren't as big, and that you bless someone else in the process.
 
Be blessed
matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment