Friday, May 28, 2010

These Donuts are To Die For!!!

I hope the title of the blog enticed you. I'm sure it did, because, well, you're reading this. "To Die For". I've heard people say that phrase for a really long time. I'm sure you know people who say it also. I've got news for you though- I don't say it. I never have.
 
Actually I think its a pretty horrible phrase. An all out lie if you ask me. I really don't know anyone who would die for a donut, a salad, a piece of chocolate. If I gave you the option to have or do something, but the exchange for it was death, I would be sure that none of you would take me up on it.

In truth, there is nothing that I could give you to eat that would be "to die for".

 
Now don't get me wrong, I think that there are things out there that are worth dying for. Death is the ultimate price that someone can pay for something, either good or bad. Our life is only one, and when we give it up in death to someone, we have given the ultimate sacrifice.
 
It was Nathan Hale that said- "I regret that I only have one life to give for my country". That's a bold statement, and one that we as Americans should take to heart this Friday as we move into Memorial Weekend.
 
Monday isn't a day off from work so you can go shopping for a new mattress. Its a day set aside for us as a nation to honor those who have died in Military Service.
 
I found a link that lists the American Casualties in war. You can see it here http://www.militaryfactory.com/american_war_deaths.asp take special notice of WWII and The Civil war. These two wars combined had 1 million deaths.
 
What you feel about war is irrelevant in this case. The truth is that there have been over 1 million service members that have died in defense of our way of life as Americans. Most importantly, they died so that we can worship God freely.
 
So what to do? Take a moment this weekend and reflect on it. Realize that what you have as an American came at a cost to those who died, and the families that suffered the loss.  Thank God for their sacrifice and do not take it for granted. Use that opportunity to deepen your relationship with the savior of the universe who died for you- so that you could live a life of peace and freedom.
 
Be blessed
matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment