Friday, March 27, 2009

How To Encourage More

Encouragement. We all need it, but rarely receive it from people. I'm not sure why that is, probably because most people are more concerned about themselves, more than they are with the feelings of other people.

I made a decision back when I was in High School to become an encouraging person. I remember my youth pastor was talking one night and told us "if you don't have any friends, become an encourager and watch how many friends you'll have". I took it to heart. I try to be encouraging to people as much as possible.

Its pretty easy to encourage people. All you have to do is pay attention to who they are and what they are doing, find something that's special, and praise it. Most people enjoy a compliment or a comment about something that they've done.

Here's the most important part- you have to tell them! People think about a compliment or an encouragement, BUT THEY NEVER SAY IT! If you think something, but do not share it, it is wasted. You must get to the point where you speak it every time you think it.

Here's what will happen in your life when you do this. You are going to find that the people around you feel better about themselves, and you will find that you feel better about yourself also. When you're a person who encourages others, you'll spend your day making other peoples days better, which will bless you in the process.

The Bible says to "encourage each other daily", and I think that's pretty good advice. We need to be always be an encourager.

There is enough discouragement in the world. Be an encourager!

Be encouraged!
matt

2 comments:

  1. Funny how youth group sermons stick with you.

    When I was in HS, my youth director's lesson one night was watching an episode of Home Improvement (popular at the time). Very G-rated family sitcom.

    We tallied the "put-ups" and "put-downs" during this episode. There were 2 "put-ups" and about 30 "put downs".

    It's funny, because something as simple and as corny as that exercize was has stuck with me all these years later.

    It's always easier to destroy something than it is to build or create something. But it's also exponentially more satisfying to create and build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a family of "non" encouragers. We had a counselor come in & encouraged us to say nice things to one another. Years later I have used that advice & my family is slowly coming around. It goes back to what we say to others can destroy them or build them up. I believe it is so much easier to say something nice vs. being mean. As my mother use to say if you can't say something nice don't say it at all. Dani

    ReplyDelete