Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What Happened To Hope?

I am utterly amazed. It has only taken about six months for the word 'hope' to be eradicated from the American Landscape. I'm not talking the hope and change of President Obama here, I'm talking about the notion of American optimism that has been so clear and distinct as long as I can remember. A thought that always looks to a better day. A voice that declares that things will be better and improve.

It's gone. Its dead.

I read the news every day. Over the last few days I've read articles about the Dow losing 21% of its value in the last 7 weeks, a Christian leader who declares God's wrath is coming to America, so we must stockpile food. This morning I read an article about the impending collapse of American evangelicalism.

Where has all the hope gone? Where are the leaders standing up and encouraging the masses to a better day with a better life. Where are the songs of hope that should be ringing through the streets?

I am not buying what they are selling. I still have hope. I still believe. I know that we are a great nation that refuses to be put down by the gospel of doom and gloom. Today, I choose hope. Today I declare that my life will be full of joy and optimism because I know that I serve a God of hope. He invented it. He created it. He has it for us.

I'm standing with the former King of the Nation of Israel who said:

"But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteousness,of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure"

I can't explain it. I can't understand it. I just know that everything is going to be okay. It may not turn around today. It may not turn around this week. But I will trust and hope in God despite what the world may say.

Don't believe the hype. Don't give in.

HOPE.

-matt

4 comments:

  1. Right on target...Great words of wisdom...Thankyou. GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, a breathe of fresh air! I rarely read the news for this very reason! It's interesting Matt, this last Saturday at work(SBUX) we had four or five striaght hours of a line out the door, the drive thru full,and our lobby so stuffed that people couldn't stay! So many people that we haven't seen in months hanging out chatting in our store. As I observed people and over hear comments I could'nt help put understand and feel that people are tired of the gloom. They know the reality of thier lives and the state of our union(as it were). THey just wanted to be out with friends and family enjoying the day and eachother! The very things that are tangable when all worldly things pass away. I was encouraged and felt joy for them. I too was wondering where everyone's Hope had gone. I was blessed to glimpses of it again! An example of how God and his Son Jesus, always overcome! Wether people acknowledge it or not; we really are programed( has creatures in God's image) to be fet up with gloom and not stand for it. Even people who don't know the Lord are finished with the thought that things are bad and will be forever! THey are pulling up the boot straps and making the best of it! God will be glorified thru this "mess" we are in as a country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and regardless of the 'doom/gloom' we are STILL a lot better off in America than the majority of other countries.... lets remember to be thankful for all the abundant blessings and the comfortable standard of living that most of us enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete