Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I'm Building A Shoe Rack

I am. I have a lot of shoes in my closet and under my bed that don't seem to have an adequate home, so yesterday, I started building a shoe rack. UPDATE- See the Finished Product HERE

I went to Home Depot, and bought some glue and wood, and made up some plans on graph paper on my kitchen table. Its going to be 4 feet high, and have 24 cubbies for shoes.

Here's the kicker- I've never built any sort of furniture before. I have made speaker boxes and that's about it. I have some wood working equipment but I've never used it to make a piece of furniture. I'm almost positive that Crystal is going to reject it being in our bedroom, seeing how its going to be plywood and all, but for some reason I got this idea in my head that I wanted to build a shoe rack.

As I was out in the garage yesterday, cutting and measuring wood, I was thinking- "how can I turn this experience into a blog-post?".

Here's some options-

1. Don't be afraid of trying something new that wont hurt anyone. You can try something new just because you want to, and lean on the Lord in the process.

2. Measure twice. Cut once. Its an old carpenters saying that ensures that you don't waste wood. God can teach you patience in wood working.

3. Sometimes, it might be better to buy something you need instead of trying to make it. In the long run, it saves you time and money.

4. Jesus was a carpenter. I'm like Jesus.

And the list could go on.

Here's the nugget for today- We all do seemingly benign things all day. Usually we just do them with no thought for their significance, but if we would take a moment to think about it, we can learn from what we are doing, truths about ourselves, or God's nature.

Today, think about something you're doing, or accomplishing, and try to think up some sort of 'life application' that you could use from your activity. Here's what I think you'll find- God speaks to us in the midst of our every day lives if we would reflect about it.

Post a comment to the blog about something you learned about yourself today that directs you to a spiritual life application. I think you'll be surprised if you think about it.

blessings
Matt

2 comments:

  1. This happened two days ago, Sunday evening. I am an umpire. There I said it. That was harder than admiting I am a Christian and Jesus Chris is my Lord and Savior! I umpired two games Sunday as a favor to a friend - the semi-final and championship games of a tournament in Burien. By the middle of the second game, I was really cold, really wet and really tired. Not a good combination. There was a questionable check swing and the opposing coach gave me a little flack for "missing it". I lost it and took off my mask and told the coach "not another word". And there wasn't. However, in between innings, the same coach on his way to coach third-base came up to me and said "That was the first thing I said to you all day and I don't think I deserve what you did!". All of a sudden it hit me that I was wrong. I didn't even think about it until the coach said something. I turned to the coach, put my arm around his shoulder and agreed. Then I apologized for being so crabby and unprofessional - and then I went over and apoligized to the assistant coaches. I realized I had abused my power. It was a humbling moment for me. It has really been bothering me over the last couple of days that I lost control during a game. But after reading this blog I feel better. I think God gave me a chance to have some humility and I didn't let him down. I'm proud of myself for that. I firmly believe that only through humility will we find eternal salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in a law firm. I think this helps me see that there are always two sides to every story. It helps me to not be judgmental. Amen Brother! Great blog. P.S. Were you too busy working on your shoe rack, to write your blog yesterday? Ha ha ha, just joking. You should have Crystal paint your shoe rack when it's all done! She can make it all pretty. :) --- Ellen

    ReplyDelete