Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My First Piece of Furniture


I built a shoe rack. Not really a rack if you want to be technical, its more of a shoe dresser or bookshelf. Maybe-shoe cubbies. Either way, I- Matt Krachunis (with some help from the Master carpenter Jesus)have taken a sheet of plywood and a 4X4 and fashioned it into a functional piece of furniture. I have to be honest here. I'm very pleased with myself.

I've never built a piece of furniture before, so it was quite an undertaking. My motivation was from my dog, Ranger. See, He sleeps right next to my bed, and for some reason he finds that the most comfortable place to sleep is in the bottom of my closet on top of all my shoes. So, I thought it best to find a way to get them off the floor. Also, I seem to always be mis-placing my shoes, so to have them centrally located was a bonus.

As always, in "Victory Blog" fashion, here's what I learned in the process.

1. It hurts when you put your finger in front of the nail gun and fire it even if there are no nails in it.

2. You can attempt to do something you've never done before and accomplish it if you take your time and be patient.

3. Projects with a tangible outcome are satisfying.

4. The hardest part of trying something new is getting it started. Making the first cut took the longest.

5. You have to be committed to finishing a project with a timeline, or it wont get done.

6. God blesses our attempts .

7. Its okay if your first try at something isn't perfect. I'm my worst critic. The mess ups I see, others usually don't see.

My favorite lesson of them all is the last one- letting yourself do something that isn't perfect. That's a big one for me. A lot of times I don't try something simply because of the irrational fear of it not being perfect. I figure if it cant be perfect, why try.

But then I realize that there was only one person that walked this earth who was perfect. His name was Jesus, and I am not Him. The pressure that I feel comes from my own shortcomings about perfection, not from the Lord. There are areas of my life that He wants perfection, and I am sure that wood-working is not one of them.

Attempt something new today. Put yourself out there. God has created you with wonderful abilities that you may not know exist within you if you never attempt it. Put yourself out there and do it. You may be surprised what you can do.

Blessings
Matt

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice. I want one!!! Good for you Matt! :) Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Great shoe-rack and a very good reminder that we are not perfect and neither are our spouses. I needed this reminder! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic!! Now you can come to my house and make me one...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, way to be, Matt. It made my heart soar like an eagle when I saw the completed shoe rack. this means when we come for vacation I and GG will have more time visiting then working on your honey-do-list. Looks to me,like one of your elements just might be wood. Love your father-in-law...Mark the Carpenter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. let us know when you start marketing them :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Impressive Matt! You should be very proud of yourself. And it looks like Crystal let you keep it in your room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Ours next?
    You said to do something new. This just helped me to put the final touches on the Tea Party for April 15, 2009.God works in blogs too.
    Marilyn A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Moses sandels right under the Air Jordans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow great job!! I love woodworking, although I haven't done anything since high school. I may have to make myself a shoe rack. I believe trying new things helps us grow. I love to try new things. Dani

    ReplyDelete