Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm Going to Start Acting Childish

Jesus said in Matthew 18:3 "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven". Yesterday I decided that I am going to start taking that literally. I mean, I want to make heaven.. right?

I've noticed over the last week that kids have a lot more fun than adults. You can see it in a store, or at a school. Just about anywhere you can see kids acting childish. They walk funny, they talk funny. They swing their arms when they walk, dance around and speak gibberish constantly. Its quite comical to watch, and I'm thinking, why do they get to have all the fun?

At some point in our lives, we stop the funny faces in the mirror, skipping and dancing to music that only we can hear, and I'm not sure why that is. This is what I'm quite sure of though- kids seem to be having way more fun than me. They don't seem to care what anyone thinks, or where they are. If they have a song to sing in their heart, you're going to hear it.

Obviously I'm joking. You probably wont see me skipping through the aisles at the supermarket anytime soon, but these thoughts I've been having this week raise the question- what is the point in our lives that we start to worry too much about what other people think?

This social norm serves somewhat of a purpose in that we can't spend our lives rocking back and forth in our chairs or kicking our legs up in the air while someone is trying to speak to us. We have to have some measure of civility to be able to make it in this world, but do we have to completely succumb to the notion that every decision we make must be made with the understanding of other people's perception of the action? I think not.

I wonder if that is part of what Jesus was talking about in this scripture. That for us to be able to make it to heaven or be in a relationship with Him we have to be willing to not worry too much about what other people are thinking or spend too much time dwelling on things in our life that don't matter.

That's what children do, that's for sure. They enjoy life far much more than we do, in part because they don't care what you and I think. They love life, love people, and at times will make bubbles in a glass of milk, just because it looks cool.

Be a kid today and watch what people do.

Blessings
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment