Friday, September 25, 2009

What To Do When You Lose Your Faith

I have had a lot of prayers in my life that didn't get me what I wanted. From the time I was a child, there have probably been hundreds, if not thousands of prayers that I threw up to the heavens that were not answered in the way I thought they should be.

It can wear on a guy's faith when this happens. At times I've wondered if God is really listening, or if maybe I wasn't praying the right way. There has to be a formula... right? If you say it the right way, or hold your hands the right way, then it must come to pass. Right?

I'm sure you've been there too. Those times when you feel as though you've lost your hope and faith in God. Its not a great place to be. Its quite lonely in fact. For some, scary and depressing.

As I've matured there are few things that I have come to realize that have helped me grow in faith.

1. God is Faithful even when I don't have faith. Its true. He is God, and his ability to bless me and answer the prayers of my heart are not always dependent on my ability to have faith. Often I have seen more of the faithfulness of God when my faith is wavering, than when I am in the midst of a spiritual mountaintop experience.

2. God has Providence- I know, for some of you that is a big word, but here's what it means- God knows what he is doing and helps things along. Sometimes my prayers may not get answered in the way I would want, but I accept that, because I know that God knows all the answers, while my vision and understanding of my circumstance is limited. This isn't an easy concept to grasp when it comes to things like calamity or destruction, but still, I must rest on it.

So what to do when you lose your faith?

Tell God you've lost your faith and see what He does with that. Don't bargain with Him, just tell Him, and then watch what happens in your life. I believe that you will find that as you bring all of your struggles to Him, He will begin to show Himself in ways that you never even thought or imagined.

Realize that no matter what happens in your life. No matter how angry you may be. Even if you have no faith at all- God still loves you. He loves you without reservation or condition. He loves you.

Have a blessed Weekend- Find a good church to go to this Sunday! If you're in the area, come to Faith and Victory!

Blessings
matt

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Matt. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does answer all prayers...sometimes the answer is "NO", And his love for us is unconditional...he'll love us through the storms of life, through the valley as well as on the mountain top. Ray Boltz has a beautiful song, "The Anchor Holds"...the Chorus goes:
    The Anchor holds, though the ship is battred,
    the Anchor holds, though the sails are torn.
    I have fallen on my knees, as I face the tempest seas.
    The Anchor holds, inspite of the storm. So for you who livein the Covington, Kings County area...Go To Faith and Victory, and receive a blessing your heart cannot hold. Bless you, my favorite son-in-law. GG

    ReplyDelete