Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th. A Day To Remember.

Today is September 11th. The eleventh day of the month of September. Another day of a another month. Some people have their birthdays today, some have their anniversaries of their marriage. This day, was a day that was like most other days in our calendar year. Until the year 2001.

That day in 2001 changed America, and me.

Up until that point, my generation never really had a day that defined us. Sure, we had the shuttle explosion, the Koresh compound, the Rodney King riots, and the OJ acquittal. But, we never had a national catastrophe that affected each and every American.

My parents talked about the JFK assassination. My grandparents talked about Pearl Harbor. My generation will always remember September 11th.

Its weird, no one ever refers to "December 7th" or "November 22nd". Its always referred to as Pearl Harbor or JFK. September 11th is different. It wasn't an attack on our leader or a harbor, it was an attack on our way of life. And for that, we identify with the date, not the action. For in the date we find the identification that we live who we are as Americans every single date of every single year. Not just in one place, not just through one leader.

We must never forget this day. For on this day we were faced with an adversary that deplores our way of life. A life that allows people the freedom to travel by plane with ease. A market that encourages innovation and promotes anyone based on performance. A government that supports and cares for its people. They attacked all of it that day.

Most importantly, we are a nation that allows people the freedom to worship God as they see fit. They hate us for that. They hate that we allow sin to abound and judgement to be reserved to the almighty.

Freedom has a price. You have to take the good with the bad. You have to allow voices to be heard that you may not agree with. Such it is in America. We allow freedom of thought, action and religion.

I don't agree with what everyone in America does everyday, but if I want the freedom to live my life for Jesus Christ, I have to allow other the ability to live their lives the way they want, even if I don't agree with it. That's what makes America what it is. The attacks of September 11th remind of this. Remind me that freedom to worship also means freedom to think differently. And in America, that's okay. Just don't bomb us if you think differently.

I'll never forget what happened that day. I will always cherish that I live in a nation that allows me to worship freely. A nation that allows me to be who I am.

Remember this day. Use this freedom for good, and not evil.

5 comments:

  1. Excellant! I put out the American Flag today. I will never forget 9/11. This day was not about foreign policy or corporate policy or oil. This day will forever symbolize a clash of cultures. They hate us for who we are not for anything we've done. They would like to return to 600 AD and we are making that very, very difficult ("Its hard to keep them down on the farm once they've seen gay Paris").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn A.
    I hope it never comes that on this day that I don't have a tear come into my eyes because, when that happens I know that I have lost the love for great this country.Amen to" remember this day. Use this freedom for good, and not evil."
    May God keep blessing the bogs and Pastor Matt's family. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a hard one pastor Matt,words cannot describe the feelings in the heart,but I know the Lord has the ability to listen to our hearts,and what the enemy ment for evil God will make for good and he has.For a season there was a coming together in spirit and unity of the faith and love toward one another, the attack was not only toward America but all the countries and nations of the free world.When I was a child I remember some of my wurst spanking's came from saying the words (I HATE you) I relize now why,it's alot easier to hate than it is to LOVE to love means to except ,to forgive,to understand to sacrifice ,to be open to be hurt.Pastor you don't have to run this comment but I have to share this statement,I've heard people say that mans actions regardless of the degree could never cause the comming of the Lord I beg to differ with them, thru the history of time in the word of God when mankind starts disrespecting that which God created in his own image he always stepped in and judgement was sure I do not know how much more he can take but I am thankfull he is patient and longsuffering,and slow to anger!Our thought's and prayers go out to those who lost family and loved ones in 9-11 their lives will never be the same God be with them and may he give them strength to carry on,and may God bless you and family today and every day you are loved I thank God for you amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember 9-11 clearly. I had gone to work that morning without any idea of what had happened. I was glued to my TV for a week watching the horrifying images on the screen and tears constantly streaming down my face. Our country may have many problems; however we have many freedoms other countries don't. We are truly a blessed nation! I also realized that day that sometimes freedom comes with a price. I want to thank the men & women who serve in our military, fire & police service. Thank you to all the heroes that day that in some cases sacrificed their lives so that others may live. You will always have my deep felt appreciation. God bless all of you & God bless America!! Dani

    ReplyDelete