Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Seeing An Old Friend

I talk to people. Its what I do. Checkout lines, bus stops, airplanes. Its a past time. I notice people, and their families. I'm aware of who comes in and out of rooms. This is a blessing and a curse.

Yesterday, I was at St. Arbucks on Harvey road in Auburn. I was meeting with a pastor friend of mine. We were just talking about life, and church and stuff that pastors talk about. As we were sitting there, a guy walked into the Starbucks that I recognized.

It was a guy named Chris that I went to High School with. I hadn't seen him in years. He and I were on the football team together. We weren't the best of friends, but we knew each other.

He was wearing a uniform for some sort of delivery company, and had a baseball hat on also. He didn't notice me, but I noticed him, and mid sentence, I stopped my friend and told him that I knew that guy.

I don't know if you ever see old friends from way back when, but usually when I do, its pretty neat to catch up for a minute and see what they are up to. I was in the middle of meeting, but I couldn't help myself. I called out to him- "Hey, is your name Chris?" I was so excited to talk to him.

His reply- "no, my name is Felipe".

Oops. Not Chris. Not high school friend. No one I knew.

My friend and I laughed about it. It was funny. I'm sure I'm not the only one that this happens to. Just another case of mistaken identity. I was sure it was him. I was positive it was him. I was just wrong, that's all.

Do you know what's really cool though? Even though I may not always remember someone or recognize them, that God does? With Him, there is never a case of mistaken identity. He knows who everyone is. Where they are and what is going on in their life.

That gives me comfort today. Even if I don't get people's names and faces right, God always does. He knows Felipe, and he knows you, and he won't ever get it wrong.

Be blessed today
matt

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like God might have put Chris on your heart,if you know his last name you might look him up,sometimes the Lord works like that even though he was'nt on your heart earlier today I'm sure he's been on your heart since seeing Felipe. God knows your heart pastor Matt and he knows you will pray for him your ability to talk to total strangers is a gift from God bless you pastor Matt you da man!

    ReplyDelete