Thursday, September 10, 2009

ObamaCare Round Two- Was I Wrong?

People say that Pastors can't join the political spectrum because of the danger of losing their non-profit status. I'm not too worried about it, seeing how there has been some very politically charged pastors on TV and the Internet that haven't lost their status.

That being said, I watched President Obama's address last night. I think its important for everyone to watch them. He is our president, and at times, its important for us to know what is going on in the political spectrum.

This health care debate has been pretty messy. Its become a huge political pickle that is running the risk of polarizing the populace.

Here's what I think is going on with both sides of the aisle- fear. Fear that the plan will ruin America. Fear that the plan will cost too much. Fear that the single payer system won't happen. Fear that I wont get what I want because you get what you want.

Fear is usually not the best motivator. It can cloud your thinking, and keep you from using faith and facts to guide your decisions. The Bible says the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but God never intended us to live our lives in crippling fear of anything. The Bible also says For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I'm going to let you into a window of my political mind here today. It may cost me some street credibility, or political respect, but here it goes- up until yesterdays speech, I was adamantly against the health care overhaul. After it, I am open to discovering more about what the plan has to offer.

I had been allowing fear to be the main motivator for me in the healthcare debate, and I'm not going to alllow that anymore.

Here's why I'm sharing this with you today. Sometimes people become so hunkered down in their own ideological camps, living in fear, that they don't allow themselves to be influenced or their minds to be challenged. This type of mindset can cripple your ability to grow as a person.

Hear my heart on this- I'm not endorsing a political party or candidate. This isn't a blog about you or I signing off on Obamacare. I just want to be honest that as a Christian, a Father, a Pastor and an American, I allow myself the ability to change my mind from time to time, and I think you should too.

It may not be for this debate. Maybe something else. But there is nothing wrong with changing your view on something in the political realm, or other realms from time to time.

I spend my life influencing others for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and if I don't allow myself to be influenced from time to time, what am I saying? That I want to influence you, but don't influence me?

We'll see where it goes from here. Time will tell.

The good news is that the Good News is still the Good News and at the end of the day God is still on the throne, and in the business of healing people, so I've still got JesusCare as my primary insurance plan, so I don't have to depend on the Government for the long term.

Be blessed today

matt

6 comments:

  1. Excellent blog today Pastor Matt. Does this blog have a "like" button like Facebook? :) Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sometimes people become so hunkered down in their own ideological camps, living in fear, that they don't allow themselves to be influenced or their minds to be challenged. This type of mindset can cripple your ability to grow as a person."

    Matt said this? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing you can bank on about pastor Matt he always has his brain engaged before he puts his mouth in gear! we all could take a lesson on this one I admire and respect this Pastors imput not only does he always show a lot of knowledge on the subject he is decerning but he also has the advantage thru divine intervention with the Lord God almighty .I like him rest without fear in that we share the divine intervention health plan, and all is required is that you put all your faith and trust in the living God Jesus another great blog by a great man who knows his God good job pastor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! God tells us to pray and seek after peace. We need to also look at history. It tends to repeat itself. If history repeats itself then we need to look at the past to see what the future might bring. I also have JesusCare and it has kept me well.Here is something that may not be posted but, I am going to ask this anyway. Do you think that the 1st seal has been open? If yes then we have no reason to fear because God is in control. As He is always.Keep blogging.
    Marilyn A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In regard to Marlin A. You answered your own question All denomanations share one thing together they all have the same God and savior Jesus Christ and those that have experienced the three keys to salvation death, buriel and reserection or repentance dieing out to self buriel likened unto baptizem being buried with Christ and resurection the infilling of the holy spirit,fear not my dear sister just stay packed up, prayed up, and look up you've been signed and sealed and are awaiting your deliverer. I am so glad there are people out there like pastor Matt to inhance our faith and belief surley the Lord is well pleased in you. You give us hope, you sound like a very humble person what you allow God to do thru you certainly brings him all the glory keep up the good work amen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! Amen! I pastor commented on you Obamacare round 1, and I am very glad to hear your blog today. That is exactly what I was talking about in round 1. I believe once people got understanding of the health care reform all fear would be gone, and you proved that pastor. I am so glad. The bible says:
    Proverbs 4:7:Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

    Jesus, helped the poor, and I believe with my heart he is behind this plan. Think about it. There is a person that is dying from cancer, but the insurance companies refuse to cover all his treatment becasue of a some other pre-existing problem. That is pure evil!! We can not allow the insurance companies to dictate who will live and who will die. I believe "EVERY" american citizen should have health care and not be turned away. In 1965, the right fought against Medicare, but thank God the bill was past. Many of those men that didn't want are relaxing on it now in their old age... Funny isn't it. I think the right thing should be done for people, and I think Jesus would be pleased!! He was a man of and for the "People"! :-)

    ReplyDelete