Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm Probably Going To Offend You

I offend people. Its what I do. Sometimes its when I meet them, sometimes when I call them, sometimes when I am on Facebook. At times, I offend people without even knowing it.

I'm a pretty opinionated guy. I usually have a pretty well thought out opinion on most things that matter. In somethings, I have no opinion, but usually, I have a strong one.

In 2003, when I got out of the Army, my first job was at a Technical School in Tacoma. While working there, I befriended a guy who loved to talk about politics. He had just graduated from college, this was his first job, and I think, like me, he found that politics at times can be way more exciting than a day at work.

There was a lunch room at our office, and he and I would sit during our mandatory one hour lunch and argue about everything from the war in Iraq, to term limits in the congress. I can honestly say that we couldn't have been more different in our ideological beliefs and political persuasion.

Here's what happened though- we became friends. Even though we didn't agree on almost anything, we found that we enjoyed spending time talking about almost anything.

We never got upset with each other. We never swore at each other. We didn't talk bad about each other behind our backs. We had a mutual respect for each other that understood that regardless of our persuasion, that we were both Americans that we entitled to our own thoughts, and it was okay if we didn't agree.

How do you respond to people you don't agree with? Do you chastise them? Do you hate them? Do you harbor negative feelings and emotions towards them simply because they don't think the way you do?

It is possible that you can get along with someone who isn't like you. Who doesn't agree with you. Usually those are the relationship that help you grow the most, the ones that challenge you to think about what you believe.

I like what the bible says in Romans- "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."

You don't have to argue with everyone. You don't have to only be friends with people who are just like you. Its okay to have different opinions.

Blessings
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment