Thursday, February 12, 2009

Are you a Dog or Cat person?

I was raised a cat person. We had a cats named Morris (orange tabby cat-anyone remember those commercials from the 80s?), Opal, and another named Komo (as in KOMO radio- they were giving away kittens on the radio one morning). We always seemed to have cats. They scratched the furniture, they would wake me up in the middle of the night, they wouldn't let me pet them as long as I wanted to.

The funnest times we would have with that cat is when my brother and I would play this game with the cat. One of us would hold it, and the other would scream as loud as we could and the cat would go crazy and we would see who could hold the scratching writhing cat the longest. Fun.

Now I'm a dog person. I'm sure I'll get some flack on this, but I am. I love my dog. His name is Ranger. He's a 90lb lab. He's yellow. Sure, he barfs up his breakfast on the carpet every once in a while, and gets on our nice couches when we're away, but he's a good dog. You would like him. He's a funny dog. He loves to be pet and loved. He LOVES to eat and most of all he loves to go for walks.

Most mornings he comes in to the bedroom and lays his paws on my chest and wakes me up. He's a big dog, so it wakes you up, and he always looks in my eyes. I know what he wants to know. He wants to know if we're going for a walk today. Everyday he does this. He wants to spend time with me. And it doesn't matter what we did yesterday or what is going on with me. All that matters is that he wants to get some time with me, out walking together.

As I was laying in bed this morning with his 90lb paws on my chest, I thought that this is somewhat like God's nature towards us. He loves us unconditionally. He pursues us relentlessly. He wants to spend time with us daily.

Is it a coincidence that dog backwards is God?

Maybe God can teach us something about his nature with dogs. Or at least He did reveal something to me this morning with Ranger.

Here's a funny picture for you of Ranger at Christmas. He wanted to be a reindeer.



Be blessed.
matt

6 comments:

  1. Ranger is a GREAT dog! I love Ranger and I love that Haydn is starting to love Ranger! I am a Dog/Cat person. I don't think I would be one over the other just depending on circumstances. But dogs are definitely more forgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with Kevin Hudspeth, he told me about this Blog. Pastor Krachunis I like the three storys I have read. I will be back for more.
    Ron L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read the book, "Marley and Me?" Its funny and will make you cry. Its about a big yellow lab. I will share it if you think you will read it. I'll be there Sunday.

    Aunt Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like A dog, or two...Caleb and Samson, our dogs, labs...full of love and compassions, each with their own distinct personalities...That's like humans and the love Christ has for us...we're all different, but he loves us the same.
    (Even though dog spelled backwards is god and the good book does say that in these end days that man will worship the creature more than the creator, remember we have book on them. In Genisis, where it is written that God has given us dominion over the beast of the field. But it doesn't hurt to compromise as when you're sitting in your easy chair and your dog comes and sits on you for a little love...as long as you're the first one in the easy chair...from Mark).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ranger is an Awesome dog! Dogs are pretty darn smart (some of them) and they know when to comfort you, when to protect you, when to make you laugh. Isn't that how god is too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir Walter Scott was a famous poet and novelist in teh late 1700's and early 1800's. When he was young, he had an experience that profoundly changed his life and his outlook about love. One day, he picked up a rock to throw at a stray dog to scare it away. His aim was better than he thought,because the rock hit the dog hard and broke it's leg. But, a strange thing happened ~ instead of whining and running away, the dog limped up to him and licked his hand. Even through the pain and injustice, the poor, helpless dog sought reconciliation. What love!!
    What forgiveness!! But,wait! Isn't that the kind of love that was demonstrated on our behalf?
    (Ro.5:8) Isn't that the kind of love that we are supposed to have for each other? And, what happens when the world sees that kind of love in us?

    ReplyDelete