Friday, February 6, 2009

Living Life Without Excuses

I went to college at Seattle Pacific University. Its in Seattle (duh) on Queen Anne hill just south of Ballard and Fremont. There are bridges that cross over the ship canal that enable people to cross over the ship canal. I don't know how long these bridges have been there, but they are both draw bridges. Do you know whats interesting about draw bridges? When they go up, you can't drive across them.

When in college, there was time that I would go out and do stuff with these 3 other guys. Three of us lived in the dorms, and there was another guy that lived on the other side of the ship canal. We would make plans to go out and do something and agree on a time, and every single time this guy would be late. I'm not exaggerating. Every time.

It was comical to see what excuses he would use to explain why he was late. Usually he couldn't come up with a good one, so he'd always stick with the old faithful excuse "Man, the bridge was up, that's why I'm late". We all knew that his tardiness had nothing to do with the bridge, but when you're in college, you don't challenge people on these things, because usually your plans are to go eat some burgers or go out and do nothing. Regardless, this guy lived his life with excuses and it was pretty annoying.

I'm sure you know people like this. People who always seem to have an excuse on why they are late, or couldn't accomplish the task, or be depended on. Its sad. Some people live their life with excuses upon excuses and usually no one steps up and tells them that they live their life full of excuses. If you can come up with an excuse why you're late, you'll come up with one for why you can't do something else or why you were unable to do what you were supposed to do.

I hope you're not that way. If you are, stop it. Reasons or results you can't have both. Plan ahead before you fail. Admit when you've missed the mark. Choose to get things done rather than procrastinate.

You have been created for greatness. God has put abilities and talents within you that no one else possesses. Its what makes you original. But if you never use those gifts, and live your life with excuses. You'll never experience the joy of effecting other peoples lives with the talents that you have.

Put the excuses away. Step up. Get it done. Honor God.

matt

3 comments:

  1. I was going to reply to this blog ..... but my dog ate it!

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I really needed to hear that today! In our business we have a saying, you can make excuses or money but you can't make both. I thank God that I have people in my life who won't allow me to make excuses. Believe me I have tried. If you love or care about someone, don't allow them to make excuses, it only hurts them.
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Pastor Matt, just when I needed this Message the Most See you TC IS

    ReplyDelete