Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Are You Scared Of The Economy Yet?

Its been a rough couple of months for Uncle Sam's economy hasn't it? I'm only 34 years old, so this is the first time I've been through something like this, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but it seems a bit rough to me.

Stocks yesterday hit a low that brought us back to the year 1997. The year I graduated from college. Macy's, Office Depot, and Target reported double digit losses last quarter. People are losing jobs, no one is getting raises and most of us have seen our equity in our homes either seriously dip, or be gone all together.

Its a rough time. No doubt. But do you know what? I'm not worried. I refuse to be worried, because worrying isn't going to change one thing about this economy. Its not going to make anyone better off, or improve any one's situation. The only thing it will do is make my life more miserable because I'm the one who is worried.

There are a few scriptures that continue to comfort me right now that I want to share with you.

Psalm 37:24-25 though he stumble, he will not fall,for the LORD upholds him with his hand. I was young and now I am old,yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I'm sure you know the Lord's prayer. That part that says "give us this day our daily bread"- To me that means that God provides for us daily. Our DAILY bread. I cannot see into the future about what will happen next year, but I know that right now. Today, there is food in the cupboard, gas in the tank, and the bills are paid.

This economy will turn around. It always does. Its a rough time right now, but we don't need to be scared. He knows where were at, what we're doing, what we're going through, and He's going to see us through this. I know He will. He always does.

Be blessed today.
Pastor Matt

1 comment:

  1. I am not scared. What we need right now is for positive people to make positive changes. We don't need gloom & doom because people feed off of that. During times like these we need to remind ourselves of Phillippians 4:19 that God will provide for all of our needs. God will get us through the tough times, the question is do we believe that?
    Dani

    ReplyDelete