Friday, February 20, 2009

How Great it is to Help

Yesterday I got a call from a person in our church who is going through radiation treatment for cancer. You may remember the post about them from earlier. Well, they are doing fantastic. The surgery to remove the cancer appears to have worked, and now the process has moved to radiation treatment.

As we talked on the phone they shared with me that another person from the church was coming by to bring some wood into the house for them. It wasn't a big deal, it was just something shared in passing, but to me, it was a huge deal.

The Bible talks about the church being the "Body of Christ", and to me that means that we all have a part of what God does on this earth through people. It may be preaching, it may be singing, or it may be helping someone going through radiation treatment keep warm.

I love people who help people. And I know happens outside the confines of a church. But for me, and my sphere of influence, its exciting to see when people are helping other people in the church. Being inconvenienced. Taking time out of their day to help someone else out for no other reason than they just need the help.

Go out of your way to help someone today. Be intentional about it. Know that what you are doing is important and blessing someone else.

Have a great weekend.
pastor matt

2 comments:

  1. Wow I think that is awesome!! I think everyone should make an effort to do something for someone at church or even in the community. This is a time when people need to pull together & help one another. Thank you for sharing.
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need each other...and it is so important that church people helping each other...that's what constitutes the "Body of Christ" and one of the true reasons for churches...I pray more churches grab a hold of the "Christian" concept.

    ReplyDelete