Monday, February 9, 2009

Happy Gilmore- Have you Seen It?

I'm sure most of you have seen the movie Happy Gilmore. Its an Adam Sandler flick from a few years back. We own the DVD, and its usually on cable every once and a while. Its a funny movie. Relatively clean. I watched it last night for probably the 30th time.

Its a story about a guy who can hit the golf ball really really far. Not just kind of far, really far. The movie follows him on the pro golf tournament, while he tries to make prize money so he can buy his grandmothers old house back for her. Very simple plot here. We're not talking the Grapes of Wrath or 12 Angry Men. Its entertainment, pure and simple.

But what is it about these types of movies that make us watch it over and over? It may not be Happy Gilmore, but maybe its some other movie of that same genre. Its the genre of "Normal guy has special skills". Think of movies like 'Batman' and 'Rudy'. You may not watch these movies, but I know alot of people who do.

There's something about watching someone who is great. Someone who seems to be above the normal drag of everyday life. Its an escape to watch a movie about someone great, even if it is a comedy. For a few moments, we like to dream that we too could be great. We may not want to play golf, but we want to be great. To be recognized. To be admired. To be different.

You are different. You are admired. You may not have a movie written about you, but you're a miracle. There is not one other person on the earth that is exactly like you or has the same abilities as you.

I'm constantly encouraged by a verse from the bible, in Luke 12:7- Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

On days I feel less than significant, I remind myself that I am significant in God's eyes. He knows me. He loves me. He numbers the hairs on my head. I may not have movies about me, or special skills that make me stand out in a crowd, but I am special in God's eyes, and that's enough for me.

Be happy even if you're not Happy.

matt

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Matt. I needed that reminder!! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and let us not forget...God does not make junk...We are all a special, needed part of the body of Christ...even if we're only a toenail.(I'm not calling anyone a toenail...I'm just saying we are all important. with our own blessed gifts.)

    ReplyDelete