Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentines Day is Lame

It is. I've always thought that it was lame. OK, maybe not always. I did like it when I was in elementary school and we would have a class party and there would be cupcakes and stuff. I liked it back then.

But as I got older I realized that its kind of a scam. Its built up as this day when we are 'supposed' to buy something for the people that we love to 'show' them how much we love them. Basically, you're in trouble if you don't succumb to this 'holiday'.

It was funny, I overheard some people talking this week and they were talking about Valentines day. They had a good chuckle talking about how when you are dating that Valentines Day is a big deal, but as you get older, it doesn't mean that much. One of them said, and I quote, "when you're dating and you tell someone 'oh don't get me anything' it means 'I'm not going to tell you what I want but you better figure it out and surprise me, or that's it'". Wow. I wish I would have known that nugget when I was dating.

So whats the point? Buy a heart shaped card and a box of chocolates and call it good? We only have to tell people that we love them one day a year? If you don't get it done on this day you're a no good selfish rat? I'm not buying it.

Why? Because we're supposed to love people every single day of the year. We're supposed to tell them and show them that we love them all the time. Everyday is Valentines Day. Its days like this that mess society up because it trains people to think that you only have to do something on a specific day. Love only on Valentines Day. Be patriotic only on the 4th of July. Love your mom on Mothers day. Be thankful on thanksgiving. Go to church on Easter. Do it that one day and you're golden.

Don't give in. The Bible says in 1 John that whoever does not love does not know God because God is love.

Love people. Love love love. You will get hurt. You will not get as much back as you give out, but it doesn't matter. You're called to be a lover. To be a person that celebrates Valentines every day of every year. Be that person that loves everyone and shows it all the time and it will honor God and bless the people around you.

I love you.

matt

4 comments:

  1. Amen Matt!! I think Valentines Day is a huge sham. Overpriced flowers, boxed chocolates and sappy cards. One day a year the guy is supposed to shower his lady love with trinkets and his attention. It shouldn't be one day a year, but everyday. Buying stuff for someone isn't the right way to show them how much you love them. It's the little things in life........the things we take for granted.

    As one of my girlfriends said recently, "Valentines day is a day to remind me how single I am and that's depressing!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but way back in elementary school, it wasn't the cupcakes that made Valentine's Day so great... it was Cindy's finger-jello!

    I'll tell you what... if we all had heart shaped finger-jello every sunday, the world would be a MUCH better place! ;-)

    -Case

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is coming from a Mom...I toooooottally agree...Everyday is a love day...not just 1 day a year. Sure I appreciate the balloons, cakes, chocolates, wine, but when you're trying to pay bills and put away saving for a planned move...Valentines day is a hoax...It's sad how women act if they don't get something on this day. Are we so spoiled that we can't accept a picked flower from the fields as a token of love...I'm not...one of my fondest memmories is when Mark, my husband, picked me a bouquet of wild flowers...so many I couldn't see his face and tied it with a yellow ribbon. and gave it to me...another time he adorned our doorway with yellow daisies...just for the fun of it...that's LOVE, again..it was not Valentines Day. To take the time and energy to do this is LOVE, and it was not Valentines Day.
    P. S Brother Mark wants you to know Matt, you are going to receive a birthday present from Texas...the problem is it's going to be late due to the fact that as we speak it is in the spirit and not yet manafest itself. But the love intent never changes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, I couldn't agree more on the Valentines Day sentiment. If you can't show someone how much you love them every other day of the year, what is the point? I love it that my husband tells me everyday that he loves me!! The fact that he is in my life is a lifetime of Valentines day presents.
    Dani

    ReplyDelete