Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm Going to Buy a New Car


Yes, its true. I'm going to buy a new car. One with missiles on the front of it like James Bond or something. Or, maybe I can get a rocket launcher, or some mounted .50 caliber cannons or something. I promise I wont hurt anybody with them, I just want to destroy their car.

Or, at least that's how I felt yesterday when someone I let in, didn't give me 'the wave'. Yes, I repented of it, but it was my initial reaction, that probably wasn't that 'pastorly'.

You know what I'm talking about though don't you? I was there, back of the line of cars, and this car comes up alongside me on the left, and pulls in the 36 inch gap between my bumper and car in front of me, and gets the nose of their car in there. I was feeling benevolent, so I let them in. And then it happened. No thank you 'wave'.

I don't think there is a quicker way to get me steamed when I driving.

There's not much I ask of my fellow drivers out there. The basics- don't litter, don't tailgate, keep with the flow of traffic, and the final and most important one- When I let you in, I want 'the wave'.

There's something about gratitude I guess. I know, I'll never see that person again. We'll never go and have some Frappucinos together or go on a walk through the countryside, but that's irrelevant. When someone does something nice, its important to have some gratitude no matter how small it is.

Some of you hardliners will say that as a Pastor its my ministry to serve with reckless abandon, regardless of whether or not anyone is thankful. And I agree with that. I can handle preaching, teaching, serving, loving people until it hurts. But when it comes to driving. I want 'the wave'.

Its Biblical- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances, and to me, that includes 'the wave'. We should be people who give thanks for everything, including being let in the line in traffic.

Be thankful today. Give someone the 'wave' when they let you in. Show some gratitude out there.

Blessings
matt

ps. Am I the only one? I'd love to hear your comments.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you pastor Matt for such a good laugh this morning. I think we all want the "wave" because it acknowledges us, it confirms we exist, that we just did something nice. When the wave does not occur we feel a little insignificant - or worse - we feel like a "sucker".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree, it's about the "wave". Nice, light blog today and it made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, that is usually me changing right in front of you and I don't wave. Where I grew up people never said thank you for anything and driving was only about getting from A to B as fast as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pet pieve is not getting a thank you when I stand and open doors for people...a simple smile? plpease...I don't have to do this...but I want to do this because it's the right thing to do...Especially when it's a mother with a baby or an elderly...A simple thanks goes a long way.Yes, a sweet wave would be oh-so-nice...How about pulling on the side of the road to let them pass when you have a truck full of bird houses and driving 45 mph....and they flip you off...What happened to common courtesy? Love the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with getting the wave. What happened to common courtesy? I guess that doesn't apply when you are on the road. I try to be courteous when I am on the road, even when someone flips me off. Like my mama always said kill them with kindness....
    Dani

    ReplyDelete