Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How To Deal With Haters

Haters. For some of you that aren't from Generation X, allow me a moment to inform you what a hater is. The Urban Dictionary describes a hater as "A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person". You know exactly what I'm talking about don't you?

I'm sure you've met a few haters in your life. People who always seem to come around right after you have a big success or joy in your life. It could be a new relationship, job, promotion, house, or car. They love to come by and pop your balloon and rain on your parade. More than likely you've also experienced the hater who doesn't say it to you, but to someone else behind your back. These are the people who love to erode other people's credibility and attempt to discourage you to enjoy your personal achievement.

How do we deal with them? Do we lash back? Do we take an offensive against their barbs? Do we defend our position and confront them? Sadly, most of these approaches seldom work. Why? Because the haters problem is not your success. The problem is them. They are usually self-loathing half-empty cowards who are so upset with their own condition, their only reprieve is to attack someone else.

My advice? Rest on what the Bible says "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord". I like that. That means I don't have to worry about weather or not I vindicate myself. I live for His glory, so He avenges me. God knows exactly who is doing what and saying what. Therefore, I rest easy because I know that He has my best interests in mind.

Pour 'em a big glass of Haterade and give it over.

Blessings
matt

p.s. You can also pray for your enemies. The Bible says that too. Thanks for the correction Dale. I'm not saying we shouldn't pray for them as much as I am saying that our immediate response shouldn't be to attack back. The Bible also says On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." These are strong statements about enemies. Pray for them, but realize that God does avenge.

5 comments:

  1. How about "loving your enemy and praying for those who persecute you" instead of simply wishing that God's wrath is poured out on them since you can't do it yourself?

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Dale. I'm not saying we should't pray for them also, as much as I am saying this is one way to deal with people who go behind your back and subvert you.

    pray for them brother, but when that's done, you can know that God has your back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,

    Actually listening to a Joyce Meyer Cd on a subject similiar to this blog this entire week. I listen to it over and over. It's so easy to forget to not give in to the feelings of vindicating yourself, to lash back at that person. I love your blogs, keep it Pastor. They and YOU are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked the phrase "kill them with kindness". Ultimately it makes them feel bad when they know they have treated you badly. I had that happen to me one time. The person got into my face trying to make me angry & when it didn't work, they came back to me the next day & apologized & gave me a nice gift.
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  5. In light of that, do what the Bible says and "rejoice with those who are rejoicing and weep with those who weep." We shouldn't start drinking Haterade but make sure that our friends and family know that we are excited about their success. If you "give (yourself to bless or encourage someone else) it will come back to you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over will men give to you."

    ReplyDelete