Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Sin of American Idol

I must confess. I like this show. I'm a American Idol junkie. We've watched every season since the second one. For some reason the newness of it all isn't seeming to wane. I like it just as much as I did the first time I watched it, except I'm not too sure about that new judge, old 'whats her name'.

In my experience, "Idol Watchers" fall into 3 categories.

1. Those who only enjoy the auditions, and stop watching after they are over.
2. Those who only watch the top 20.
3. Those who watch it all.

I'm in group number three. I watch it all, and I've got to tell you, sometimes, its painful. Watching the contestants that cannot sing at all makes my stomach churn. I feel bad for them, because they are on national TV singing and they can't sing.

But do you know what I thought about last night? At least those people are trying. At least they are putting themselves out there and are attempting to achieve their dreams. They may not sound great, or be the next Teddy P or anything, but at least they don't have to live the rest of their life wondering if they could have made it or not. Sadly, most learn they couldn't have, but at least its without regrets.

My point? Try something new today. Something that you've wanted to do but were afraid to try. I'm not saying you need to try out for American Idol, but I'm sure there is some area of your life that you're holding back in.

Wouldn't you rather fail and live with no regrets instead of never trying?

You can be encouraged by at least one person in your endeavor: God. You may be the next big thing that God wants to use to bless someone else. I'm going out on a limb here and saying its probably not going to be for you to be the next American Idol, but you could be a wonderful addition to what God wants to do on this earth.

Remember- He uses people who are available and are willing to put themselves out there.

Be blessed.

4 comments:

  1. God likes using people who are not the "best" at what they do. He is notorious for using people that others don't feel are "qualified". As long as we are willing to try!

    Good word Pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! being present and willing has lead me through all sorts of adventures in God.I had forgotten about that for a while but I'm back now and look forward to each days adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart stopped. I thought you were gonna tell us to stop watching American Idol. That'd be as bad no Facebook! Great blog Matt. :) Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. teddy p? man you are old!! but i agree that it is better to have tryied and failed than to never have tried.

    ReplyDelete