Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Hate Cancer

I'm going to visit someone in the Hospital today. They have cancer and had surgery last night. I'm a pastor. This is what Pastors do. They go and visit people when they are in the hospital. Its not my favorite part of my calling, but I feel privileged that I am able to do it.

I hate cancer. Its a disease that seems to be affecting more and more people's lives every year. I am sure that there is someone in your life that has been affected by cancer like I have been affected. I pray all the time that Cancer would be gone from the face of the earth. That it would stop stealing people's lives.

If you're anything like me, You probably have asked the cosmic question "why does God allow this"?. Here are the three most theological words someone can utter: I DON'T KNOW. I wish knew, but I don't. I can't explain it, theologize it, or understand it. What I do know is that it doesn't change the fact that there is still a God in heaven that loves me. This earth is what it is, but it is not my home. One day, I will leave this place, the means by which I do not know. Its not my journey to understand it all, or be able to explain it all. I know God knows, and for me, that's enough.

You may not have cancer, but I'm sure there is something in your life you wish wasn't the way it is. You may be able to change it, or not. But be encouraged in this- God has not forgot about you. You may be going through something, but He is walking with you. As the scripture says "yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death- thou are with me". It never said you wouldn't walk through anything, it says that as you walk through it, He would be there with you. Holding your hand. Guiding you.

Be blessed today
matt

2 comments:

  1. Great post... I hope all goes well today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt
    Hang in there, what you do for people by visiting them is absolutely a blessing. We don't realize the impact we can have on people by just listening and visiting with them much like Jesus did. I believe God can heal people. Take care. Jenn Maiorca

    ReplyDelete