Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Nuclear Bomb Is Going To Drop

At least that's what I thought when I was kid. I grew up in North Seattle, underneath the flight pattern for Sea-Tac. In the early 1980s there was a lot of talk of World War III and nuclear bombs, and as a child, you don't really understand what is going on, you just pick up bits and pieces of what you hear on the news and what adults are talking about.

What did I pick up? Nuclear bombs drop from planes and it is imminent that its going to happen in the US. So I would lay in my bed at night thinking that one of these planes was just about to drop a bomb on me and my house.

Forget the fact that they were all commercial planes, and that the world just doesn't work that way. For me, at that time in my life it was my reality, even though it wasn't grounded in fact. Ask my mother. I worried about alot of pointless things as a child. Things that never happened and had no semblance of even a minute probability. Worrying about Nuclear Holocaust and the arrival of the "Killer Bees" didn't make it happen, or keep it from happening, all it did was give me something to worry about.

I've since grown up a bit. I don't worry like I used to. How did this happen? I came to realize as Jesus said that "who of you can add a single hour to your life by worrying". I finally figured out that a level of prudence is beneficial, but to sit and worry about something that will never happen, or more than likely will not happen does nothing to benefit me or the people around me. I turn all my worries over to the one who can actually do something about it, when I can not.

You should try it if you're a worrier. Turn it over to Him. Tell Him your worries and then move on. You'll find that 99.9% of your worries are usually not grounded in reality and rarely ever happen. Nothing changes when you worry. It only hurts you.

Stop worrying. Turn it over.

Blessings
matt

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! This really hit home. I'm going to post this on my fridge! LOL. Thanks Matt for the great blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete