Monday, January 26, 2009

Poetic Justice

It was funny yesterday at church. I was talking to someone about the blog and they were telling me how much they've been enjoying it and then they asked, "how do you come up with something to write everyday" and I was like, "I don't know, it just comes to me".

Whats funny is that this morning, and on my walk, I've been struggling with what to write. Is it because of that conversation yesterday? Is it because now there is some sort of expectation because people are actually reading this thing?

But you know what? Even if I couldn't come up with something to write about today that had some sort of quasi-spiritual inspiration, or motivation, I still wrote this blog. Why? because sometimes you do things because you said you were going to do them. Even if you don't feel like it. Even if for a day the luster is gone and you wonder if it even matters.

My goal for the the blog in 2009 was two fold. 1. Do it every day M-F. 2. Grow the readership to 1000 people. One goal I can completely control. One I cannot. So what am I doing? Controlling what I can control and not worrying about the other.

I'm sure you've set out to do goals before, and after a few weeks they lose their excitement and they become work. Most people quit or get tired at this point. Do you know what motivated people do? They dig in and do it because they committed to it.

Wait. Did I just write the blog? Is there some sort of value that can be redeemed from this diatribe?

How bout this: We honor God by keeping our commitments.

There. Done and done.

Be blessed!

matt

7 comments:

  1. Some things you do because you have committed, just like our Finance Sheets! Nope, I really don't want to do them, but we committed to it and even though it takes a VERY long time, it teaches discipline and though painful, illuminates a clear path in the direction we need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, aha... ya, OK, Lord, so this is EXACTLY what I needed to hear TODAY! on-a-count-a-cuz-I-said-I-would!
    Yep...It's a CHOICE, amen? AMEN!!
    Thanks for being His voice when I wasn't listening. Funny thing is that today is my first day of reading it. So, now you have ONE MORE! ha, ha, ha .... doesn't God just crack you up?!
    Candi Gurney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because you are obedient in the part of your goal that you can control, I decided to help you reach the goal that you cannot. I really appreciate you, and all of your thoughts!

    Leta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Control the controllables? Where have I heard that one before? Hope all is well for you and yours! Nice talking to you the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to be extraordinary you have to do things that ordinary people won't do. It all comes down to a decision. I have decided that 2009 is going to be the year that I do the things that I have put off way too long. Thanks for the blogs. Keep it up & the people will come.
    God Bless, Dani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt-

    If it helps any, we need to do the things we said we would... not just because God (or our mothers) appreciate it when we follow through... But because everything we do influences many more people than we can ever know. I was just about ready to call in "sick" to work today. My heart just isn't in it right now. But you watch... somebody will come into the store needing help and I'll be there with my own special brand of caring and salesmanship that's perfect for that person. Now that I didn't want to go to work... I really DO want to go to work. It's going to be a great day!

    Thanks for the kick-start!
    -Case

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! Living in His word!Glad your writing! TCIs

    ReplyDelete