Friday, January 23, 2009

Lessons from the Doctors Office

We're taking the kids to the doctor this morning. Nothing visibly wrong, just want to make sure that everything is documented from Sunday, that's all. I've got to tell you, I'm not looking forward to it. Why? Because I know that no matter what we're going to have to sit and wait.

Sure, there will be some great copies of Ladies Home Journal and Guns and Ammo to look over. With their bent pages and articles with pages ripped out. More than likely they'll have a television that will be showing a court drama show or the latest installment of The View. But that's not what's going to get me. It will be the waiting. The not knowing. The wondering when I will be able to get on with my day and not sit and wait for someone else to get their job done.

Its frustrating to wait. To wonder and not know what an outcome is going to be. People who know me will tell you, patient is not usually one of the words that people use to describe me. But do you know what? I know right now what I am about to go through and I can make a decision before I get there how I am going to respond.

Its always the same when I go there, so why should I act surprised? I can decide right now,while I'm sitting at the kitchen table, before I've even had my oats, to be patient today. I can choose to not let the wait get to me. I can choose to not get annoyed and take this opportunity to enjoy myself.

The Bible talks about patience as a fruit of the spirit, and for me sometimes its hardest one to pluck from the tree. But I know this- God wants me to be patient, so weather I want to be or not, its something that I need to work towards. I can't just throw my hands in the air and say I'll never change, or that's not something that I can do. I must continue to ask Him to help me grow, to show me areas I can improve and learn to be more patient.

Even if it means a morning in a Doctors office.

Be blessed today.
matt

2 comments:

  1. patient is now how people describe me either, but I try. Certainly my kids teach me patience. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    I do not like waiting in Doctor Offices myself. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. That is why people bring a book to read or a craft to do while they are waiting.

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete