Sunday, January 18, 2009

We Rolled Our Minivan On Sunday

No joke. We did. You can see the picture here. It was crazy. We were on our way to church and were going down Highway 18, when we saw an overturned car on the other side of the freeway. Instinctively, we said "Lord, please be with those people" and literally half a second later we were skidding across ice on an overpass at about 60mph towards the shoulder.



I don't remember much. Just the both of us crying out to God and saying "oh Jesus" over and over. We hit the shoulder and rolled the van. It was odd. I've never been through something like this before. We landed right side up, and I looked in the back and the kids were both okay, and Crystal was too. We all looked at each other and were like "wow".



It was surreal. I didn't know what to do or say. I got out and just kind of stood there and looked at everyone and everything. The first thought in my mind? Man, our rates are gonna go up now. Second thought? I'm definitely not going to make to to first service at church. Third thought? Today is my cheat day, and now it looks like we're not going to make it to the donut shop.

There was a few amazing things that happened in the midst of this.

1. We didn't die.
Sounds odd, but people die in stuff like this all the time. We had some cuts, scrapes and bruises, but none of us went to the hospital. God was definitely with us. I keep playing it over in my head. It just seems so crazy that we're all just a little sore.

2. We met some wonderful complete strangers.
Two cars stopped and helped us with immediate medical care and support. They put Crystal and the kids in their car to keep them warm, stayed with us until our van was towed, and then drove us home. What wonderful people. There are still a bunch of great Americans left out there. I even told them, "you guys are definitely making the blog"- Thanks Chris and Kelly.

3. We learned what really has value.
I could care less about the van. I still have the things that matter most to me close to me.

4. Worship songs at church mean alot more after being in a wreck.
After we got home, we cleaned up and got to church for the 11am service. I tell you, when you sing a song that says "my God is mighty to save" it hits a bit closer when 2hours earlier you were skidding and flipping in the minivan. I still preached the sermon in 2nd service too!

Do you remember the blog from Friday? I didn't think I'd be living out what I wrote Friday, Sunday morning. No one plans for this stuff. It just happens. God is good all the time. He really took care of us. Sometimes the most unlikely things happen.

I know this is a different post, but its what happened yesterday. I didn't know what else to write. What can you take from this? Remember- you can go through horrible things and come out on the other side okay. It doesnt mean you wont go through things, it means that God will be with you as you go through them.

I'm loving me some Jesus today. He is so faithful.

Be blessed. Drive safe.

matt

ps. shout out to my boy Jay for preaching at first service on a moments notice. Thanks bro!

20 comments:

  1. Oh Man....I am so glad you guys are safe.
    Car accidents are scary...I am glad there are people out there who care.
    Take care of yourself...Love you guys
    Cathi and Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. praise GOD that you guys are ok. Love from our family to yours.

    Derek and Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. praise GOD that you guys are ok. Love from our family to yours.

    Derek and Meg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, amen, amen. Matt, I am so glad you and your family are all okay. It is unfortunate to have to experience something like this to make us appriciate those things that truly matter. We praise God with you and are glad you are all alive.

    Blessings,
    Scott Totten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lord,thank God you guys are ok!! I pray that everything with the insurance goes well and that your family recovers quickly-no nightmares, or anything!! Chuck and Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure hope you did end up getting your donuts Matt...that was our first thought (well, second or third after we made sure you were okay) after we heard about everything, because you deserve that on Sunday's! If you did not get them, then it's my treat next time we go to the donut shop :-) God bless you Pastor.
    - Evan and Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise the Lord that you and your family are safe!

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is GOOOOODDD!!!!! Thank you for including me.....you and your family are in my prayers for a quick emotional and mental recovery. You are SOOOOO blessed to only be "sore".

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're thankful that your family was protected from harm! Tyson, Raquel & Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Matt and Crystal God is good and he is not done with you yet. There's alot more for you to do here before you get to meet our savior. I'm praising God that all four of you are okay. After seeing the picture I was stunned that God is so amazing and you walked out of an accident like that. PTL

    Kevin and Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. No more van payments :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank God he pressed the importance of seat belts in your life. I have been on many of these accident scenes and without seat belts they do not turn out this well. Our prayers go out to you and your family for a quick recovery of both mind and body.

    Tony & Tami Sollars

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praise God that you guys were not injured! Just now finding out about this monday evening and am moved to tears thinking of what could have been had our mighty and awesome God had not been with you sunday morning. We love you Krachunis Family and Thank God that you are okay.

    I heard a song today and the chorus was the things I have in life are temporary, all I need is love. It was something like that - Praise channel. Gods Love is all we need, nothing else matters for it's just temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad to hear that you and family are okay. I too will pray for a speady recovery for your family. I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Matt & Crystal,
    We are blessed to have you as a continued part of our lives. We are thankful that the angels were riding in your car to protect all of you. We have used the song "Jesus take the wheel" & it worked for us. Cars can be replaced people cannot. As stated in a previous comment, God is not done with you yet!
    We love you,
    Lon & Dani

    ReplyDelete
  16. there is a path that you are on as God has a purpose for you and for your family. God is always talking to us. so happy that all of you are OK. wow is right. peace - n - love, vera

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are highly favored by the Lord...With a mother's heart I send a huge THANK YOU; JESUS for keeping your hand on Matt and my daughter and grandchildren, lead them mighty Lord, they will follow with all the love one can have...and you can tell Satan...they are too strong...and "no", you can not have them...a Mother's Love Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just saw the pictures of the roll over, finally got our computer back. and I'll have to agree with G.G., "You can tell Hell, we're not coming." To GOD be the glory. Leave alittle dirt on your next vehicle, the Lord is always jealous over a clean chariot. He never had one, but he sure wore out some good sandles...All My Love, Your Brother in Christ and Father-in-law....Mark.

    ReplyDelete